Thursday, September 16, 2010

God Guiding Us

Some moments you just don't want to forget.

All of our small group guys were gathering at our house for a friend's birthday.  Me and the T's cleaned the house, made stuffed mushrooms and smokies, and then packed up and headed to town to a friend's house where all of the girls and kids were hanging out for the evening.  

Five mamas, twelve kids, and a houseful of food, toys, and overall chaos.  Spilled soda, loud squeals of laughter, shared baby bottles, poop handprint on the wall (it wouldn't be real without it!), some drinks, and lots of talking and laughing.  Then, it was winding down....and raining.  It's now 11:00 and way past all of their bedtimes.  They're tired and tender.

I packed up my crew, the odds and ends I could remember and headed out in a downpour to the van.  I buckle T4 in, T1 gets T3.  I'm soaked, and it's still pouring.  Lightning lights the sky like a strobe light.  Thunder startles the kids.  I ask the kids to be quiet so I can concentrate for our normally 15 minute ride home.  They amazingly stayed quiet.  T2 calmed T3 who was scared.  T1 softly hummed to T4.

The lightning was continuous.  Several times, our van would lose traction.  The amount of rain water overwhelmed the ground.  On a curve, we hydroplaned and I feared the van would not make the turn.  It did.  We drove through inches of rain at the four way stop.  We got home and quietly got out.

T1 said that was the scariest ride he'd ever been on.  I told him me too.  T2 gave me a big hug.  T3's little face was full of anxiety and melted when I picked him up.  Mike grabbed T4.  We prayed and thanked God for our safety.  The kids were jammied, brushed and pottied.  After they were down, I snuggled into Mike's arms and let him know how frightening it was.  He held me tight.

God's provision is incomprehensible.

No comments:

Post a Comment